Established in 1995.
BRIEF HISTORICAL TIMELINE OF THE GSC
- 1993, Students petition for an office for gay, lesbian and bisexual students, faculty, and staff.
- 1994-1995, The Office of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Concerns opens at UIC.
- 1998, The Office name evolves to include the T for transgender.
- 2002, Safe Zone program launches at UIC
- 2006, The Advocate magazine names UIC one of the queer-friendliest campuses in the country.
- 2007, UIC celebrates the first Lavender Graduation in Chicago.
- 2007, The Office’s name changes to Gender and Sexuality Center.
- 2009, Gender neutral bathroom opens in BSB.
- 2012, The Center spaces are renovated for increased public programming.
- 2013, Campus Pride and the Huffington Post name UIC one of the Top 25 LGBTQ-friendliest campuses in the country.
- 2014, Trans* inclusive health care becomes available to UIC students.