GSC Hiring: Assistant Director for Civic Engagement
The UIC Gender and Sexuality Center seeks a Program Coordinator (Assistant Director for Civic Engagement).
Under general supervision, the Assistant Director for Civic Engagement helps manage the Gender and Sexuality Center (GSC) public and affinity-based programs and assists with operations for the GSC office, gallery, and computer lab. Directs all GSC marketing and social media efforts and assists with the supervision of students and the facilitation of cultural competency workshops and civic engagement initiatives.
The Assistant Director will coordinate and execute tasks for GSC public program series including:
- Develop program themes around civic engagement social justice issues affecting the lives of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally community;
- Identify expert speakers on campus and from local communities to present on the particular themes and support vendor process with them as needed;
- Write and edit all program copy;
- Coordinate affinity-based programs and student facilitator recruitment;
- Develop and directs monthly and heritage months programming;
- Coordinate the design of marketing materials with the support of the Associate Director;
- Coordinate program evaluations.
- Manage the student drop-in center and create a safe environment for students.
- Respond to questions regarding terminology, current events or career choices.
- Informally counsel students on education safety and health issues.
- Refer students to other departments or entities for further services as appropriate.
- Manage day-to-day office operations. Interview, hire, orient, lead, mentor, and evaluate student staff and interns to meet departmental and organizational needs.
- Manage listserv and social media communications for the department.
- Facilitate center visits and co-facilitate cultural competency workshops as needed.
- Forge partnerships with internal and external entities to educate and/or promote positive campus life for LGBTQA communities (i.e. faith-based campus groups, education advocacy organizations, LGBTQIAA+ non-profit organizations).
- Bachelor's degree
- A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, development and implementation of arts and cultural programs for the LGBTQIAA+ student and campus community required.
*Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1 year) of work experience.
- Master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Gender and Women’s Studies, LGBTQ/Queer Studies, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience supporting LGBTQIAA+ youth and/or adults with issues related to identity preferred.
- Knowledge of university and Chicagoland LGBTQIAA+ organizations, resources, and services preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Mac and PC.
- Experience with graphic design.
- Experience with communication platforms such as Google, Box, Slack, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work and partner with diverse LGBTQIA+ communities preferred.
- Ability to manage listserv, social media, and other communication and marketing tools desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, staff, and the public and serve as an ambassador for the center preferred.
For fullest consideration, the above mentioned requirements must be submitted no later than Monday, June 6, 2022.