Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Campus Records and IDs

Name Changes & Campus Records

Students, faculty, and staff at UIC may use a first name other than their legal name to identify themselves for a variety of reasons. Students who would like to use a name other than their legal first name are able to enter a preferred first name, update an existing preferred first name, or delete an existing preferred first name through Student Self-Service.

Check out the official University policy below or contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Changing your name with the Registrar’s office does not change your legal name. Your legal name will still be used for financial aid, transcripts, international student I-20’s, and other documents required by the university. Your legal name will continue to appear on your transcript, diploma, I-Card, and any documentation involving financial aid, student accounts, or international student status. The I-card will print your preferred first name on the front of the card, and your full legal name will appear in smaller font on the back of the card.

Students who wish to change their legal name on their student records must first complete the legal name change process. Once you have completed that process, follow the guidelines outlined in the attached PDFs to assist as you change your legal name on campus:

  • For Undergraduate Student Employees
  • For Undergraduate OR Graduate Student Non-Employees

If you are interested in learning more about changing your legal name in Illinois, we suggest visiting the Transformative Justice Law Project of Illinois. If you have been a resident of Illinois for at least 6 months, you can legally change your name in Illinois.

*Changing your name is different in every state. If you are not from Illinois, it is worth checking to see if the process is easier and/or less costly in your hometown.

Gender Marker Changes Heading link

*Students seeking to correct or update their gender marker in the Banner Student Information System, can do so with an e-mail from a UIC e-mail account requesting the change to or by stopping by the Office of the Registrar, Student Services Building, suite 1200, 1200 West Harrison Street, during business hours.

Options and limitations on selection of gender within the Student Information System:

  • Students with an employment record at any of the three University of Illinois campuses, can select either Male (M) or Female (F).
  • Students with no employment record with the University of Illinois, can select Male (M), Female (F), or Not Available.

If you have questions, you may call the Registration Help Line at 312-996-8600 during business hours or visit the website for Registration Gender Data Updates.